Thursday, January 11, 2007

Dare you to move

"The Lord will work out His plans for my life--for Your faithful love, O Lord, endures forever. Don't abandon me, for You made me." Ps 138:8

I'm kind of sick of suburban culture for what it reveals in my life. (I started to write "for what it makes me into" but it doesn't 'make' me. If it wasn't in me in the first place then I wouldn't act the way I do. So I say the culture reveals things in me that I don't like to see.) I spent some time with my brother and nephew tonight. We went to a little arcade where he could play games for a quarter and we could get some pizza. My brother says it's good to take a break and laugh and play and put life behind you for a little while to get your mind off the stress. In suburbia we stress about stupid stuff like what to wear today or what restaraunt to eat at or what movie to watch tonight. Somewhere somebody's stressing about what their kids going to eat tomorrow, how they're going to pay for last months rent, when they're gonna get a break and be able to get ahead. And I'm not even talking Africa, because that's far worse, but I'm not in Africa. I'm sitting on my couch flipping channels while somebody just down the road is barely scraping by. Why do I let myself put so much value in things that don't matter? Why do I waste my life away on my own comforts when there's so many people right outside my door that need to be loved? My complacency is my own discontentment. I wonder if helping someone else get their mind off their problems isn't more theraputic for me in the end. I'm reminded of a few things I've learned over many trips to Namibia that I'll end with...1) God put each of us in our own unique circumstances for a reason, 2) There are 'invisible children' everywhere, and 3) You can't save them all, but you can make all the difference to the one right in front of you.

3 comments:

germaine said...

complacency... time moves forward... life goes on... habit sets in. Uncontrolled circumstances occur and I begin to wonder how others choices/mishaps/burdens affect me. I begin a moment of worry... how will I...? and as I close my eyes to fall asleep I am made aware of my selfishness, that God is in control, that He has blessed me greatly and will continue to do so... that He has led me to my current circumstances so that I may be made aware of how to care for the many "invisible children" that surround me...

“But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.” ~Matthew 6:33-34

Love ~G

Meg said...

Hey Mike,

Its so true, I love to read your thoughts they are always a reminder and make me really think. I hope you are well, and look forward to talking to you sometime again soon.
meg

Meg said...

Mikey! I just clicked on your friend "germaine's" link, and viewed all of her Africa pics!! They were GREAT, wow, it just makes me want to go there even more! What amazing experience's you must have there...I am sure it makes your heart expand!!