Sunday, April 08, 2007

I must say I'm quite pleased at how our philosophy of missions has grown over the last few years since taking short-term trips to Namibia. Tonight I was sitting in a training meeting for this summer's team and we talked mostly about conversation topics. We talked about the sexual purity material that our hosts use and what kinds of questions our team members might expect to hear in classrooms. We talked about what kinds of lies kids grow up hearing in that culture and how to talk about hope and a good future. Basically, we talked about how to have a conversation with people.

I love that we say our missions trips are all about relationships, but then we actually make them about relationships. Our training sessions prepare people on how to build relationships, how to talk to people, what to expect in conversations. We consistently go back to the same place, working with the same people, continually building into those relationships summer after summer. We don't bring our own agenda, but get involved in things that our hosts are already doing. We listen to people's stories. We encourage people's dreams. We speak hope to people who have long since lost it. We break down generations of racial barriers. We pick up trash and show communities that they're worth a little dignity. We laugh with the unloved. We cry with the abused. We hold the abandoned. And that has made all the difference.

Success looks different for us too. People always ask us if anybody got "saved" or if what we're doing there is really making a difference. People want visible, observable results...but God doesn't always work that way. God's work in people's hearts is a lifelong process. Our goal isn't to get somebody to say a little prayer or cross some threshold. We just want to move people closer than where they are, however closer looks. To me, it looks like a girl who went in 05 keeping up with a Namibian friend on Facebook. It looks like past team members going back again and again and inviting family and friends to go with them, some even giving up their personal vacation time to go visit our friends on their own. It looks like team members requesting to see certain people by name when we get there this summer. Success is ongoing relationships because that's what moves people closer, one conversation at a time.

So that excites me, to be a part of a church that not only talks about, but makes missions relational. We've come a long way in a few short years, but for us, I think it's all part of the conversation that's moving us closer.

1 comment:

germaine said...

I was really thinking the same thing yesterday... with questions that were asked at dinner and then observing the meeting... I really enjoy the fact that we are not numbers focused, but focus on loving people.

I received an e-mail this morning from Jean-Claude, he was given contact info for a former teacher in Rehoboth and she would like me to contact her... I briefly met her on a few occasions each year, and then last summer she was so excited to see me. As we were getting ready to leave for the airport, she asked me to spend a few moments with her and she told me all about her life, her family and the struggles that she is having. Then we spent some time in prayer. I continue to pray for her and her son. The fact that I received the email this morning was confirmation for the reason that I continue to go to Namibia. And that just a moment of sharing time, life and your story builds relationship and brings people, including myself, closer to God.

I often get nervous when I am called to share my story, because it is quite painful, but I do know that I wouldn't be who I am today with out my circumstances and I wouldn't be able to relate to those that need to hear my story without me having gone through the pain.

Love ~G