Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The wages of work is death

So lately I've been working tirelessly on a recording project to help raise money for our upcoming Namibia trip and it's gotten me thinking about the value of work. In the end people will listen to the CD for a while but eventually it'll end up in the yard sale pile. The songs will go out of style and new songs will take their place. Eventually the glory of that CD will pass away, but is that why I work?

Every year at this time we have a Graduation Banquet celebrating another year done, saying goodbye to all our seniors, and welcoming the incoming freshmen. For the presentation, I put hours into setting up a little slideshow of pictures reviewing the year and of the seniors through the years. I show the video once at the banquet, then it quickly finds itself buried in an archive file, forgotten about for years to come. I've made so many videos for so many occasions through the years that all have the same fate. Their glory days fade quickly, but is that why I work?

All our work fades away. I spent the last hour scrubbing the bathroom, only for it to get dirty again. I spend hours mowing the lawn, but it grows back. I cook a meal, wash dishes, take the trash out, knowing that I'll do it all again tomorrow. So why do we work if it doesn't last?

Well some of those last illustrations seem obvious for health reasons and such, but I think there are lasting things about the work we do, and I mean more than just a paycheck at the end of the week. For instance, sometimes I work to show love to people. Sometimes my work leaves a lasting impression, like the CD. Who knows what somebody might take away or how God might speak into someone's life by listening to those songs. Sometimes it's for the pleasure in a job well done, or using a clean shower.

Maybe the temporary nature of our work is meant to remind us that this is not all there is. In this world, things break and deteriorate but it won't always be this way. One day everything will be healed, never to hurt again. By working we mimic God by redeeming the broken, filthy, useless things of this world. His glory can shine through our work, so in the end all is not worthless. It may only be like a drop in a pond, but every drop leaves ripples.

3 comments:

dreamer said...

I often find myself comepleting mindless and pointless tasks, which I feel will bear no fruit except for the immediate satisfaction (cleaning a clean room). Then there are those tasks where I know have made a difference, (cleaning a messy bathroom) and there are those cases where I have made a difference not only to my environment, but in the lives of people. I may not see the change, but I am part of the process, and sometimes the process is a lot more rewarding, and it is at those times- I know my work was not in vain.

amanda said...

I'm like you in the fact that I tend to work at things to show love. The relationships that mean the most to me are the ones I work hardest at and put the most effort into.

I'm glad you brought up this topic because it's an important one, it's at the basis of everything we do. I love Colossians 3:23, and the verses in Matthew 6 where it talks about giving to the needy. It talks about giving in secret, and I think that's when a lot of our pleasure in work can occur. We may not always be acknowledged for helping a friend or the hours spent on a project, but God is glorified in our work and He never forgets all that we do for His kingdom. I like how "Dreamer" brought up the word process. We may never see the results like a smile on someone's face when they come home to a clean house or the comfort someone feels when you take the time to write them a letter saying that you are there for them and love them.

BUT... :-)

Everything we do in life takes work, energy, and effort. And it is always worth it despite lack of recognition, comfort, and desire. When we have the right focus by knowing why we work is when we can get joy in the process of the work. Then in turn we can be content knowing that making God smile is far more important than being recognized in any earthly form. Working for the Lord gives us an insight to understanding His love for people and an oppurtunity to be "moving to the ryhthm of His grace."

"To be great in, great in your eyes, is my dream. To be, the one, who makes you smile, is everything" ~Ten Sheckel Shirt

PS: I'm sure this CD will be amazing, keep going I know you can get it all done in time. As for the other one, it is still greatly treasured, as two of your songs are on my sleepy tunes list :-)

germaine said...

speaking of work... man, it's so nice that things have settled a bit and have a moment to check my favorite blogs...

I tend to feel the most love when I am doing for others. I don't necessarily need the confirmation from those that I "do" for (although, it can be nice)

I feel satisfaction in completing tasks that I have put my heart into and it can sometimes be overwhelming... ah, maybe just too tired & too much estrogen... but I'm glad I can laugh at myself!! :-)

I think it's important to love what we do and desire to serve those we love as well as those that we find it difficult to love... personally, I have found that when I put an effort into doing things for those that I find difficult to love the "reward" can be much greater than when I serve those I love the most... because when I do something for the latter it requires no real effort on my part, it comes naturally. And when I need to put an effort into serving others God always shows up...

Love ~G